Snickelfritz

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome to 2013


  Another year. Wow, how time does fly, doesn't it?  It goes faster every year.  Sometimes I think God has put us on warp speed because He's getting ready to finish His work.  2012 was some year, wasn't it?   I'm glad we made it through and hope that this brand new year will be better for all of us.



  Today was pillowcase making day.  When I was a girl my mother always had cabbage to eat and made pillowcases for New Year's.   I haven't had cabbage today, but I have kept the tradition of sewing pillowcases for the new year.  I was only going to make a couple, but I was having so much fun picking fabrics I ended up with four and could have made more.  I made one flannel, the blue striped one, and the rest are 100% cotton.  Really like that black gingham check. I have five yards of it and would like to buy more because it can be used in so many things.

 

  I like to mix up my pillowcases on our bed.  I usually just use white sheets because I feel they are softer and I just like sleeping on white sheets rather than color ones. Colored ones make me itch.  Is that crazy?     I like to make up our beds to look like a hotel bed with lots of pillows.  Looking at this pillowcase makes me want to go out in my shop right this instant and make another 


  Today was the changing of the calendars.  I love getting new calendars.  I always get one Lang calendar which usually has folk art pictures for each month  This artist always has paintings that make me smile each month.  I especially like her October pictures.


  They are so colorful and fun.  I have had Lang calendars hanging in our home for years and I hope they continue forever.


 In the last year or so I discovered Susan Branch.  She has been around for a long time and I don't know why I had never known about her, but I'm sure glad I happened upon her blog.  You really should go there.  Just type in Susan Branch blog and you will find so many wonderful things to see and read there.  She has wonderful recipes and she is a delight to read.  She calls all her readers her "girlfriends" and really, you feel like you are.  She has written several books with recipes. She writes them in long hand and paints water color pictures for them and that is how they are published. She and her husband, Joe, took a two month trip to England last summer and she is now working on a diary of that trip.  I can't wait for it to come out because I know it is going to be wonderful.    I bought this book a while back.

 This is a wonderful book for all women who have girlfriends.  It's about girly things that most of us can relate to.  It is so much fun to read and it brings back memories for me because Susan grew up in about the same time I was growing up. I found it on Amazon if you are interested. 

  Anyway, I bought Susan Branch's 2013 calendar and I was not disappointed.  Each page is a treasure.


  She hand writes  beautiful things and her water color pictures are so sweet.  I guess you could say I am a fan of Susan Branch.  She lives on Martha's Vineyard with her husband and cat, Jack, and writes about her life there on her blog.  Going to Martha's Vineyard is on my bucket list.


  Going into the doggie bathroom(I name all my rooms) is this Lab calendar.  As most of you know, I have two labs that I love and these calendars are so wonderful.  Labs are just the most loving, smart, talented caring, inquisitive, happy dogs that anyone could have. 


  This picture looks like my Belle except that Belle is stockier and shorter than this lab appears to be.  It's her face, though.  How could you not love that face?



  I got this calendar for free.  Looking at it makes me excited about planting my flower garden this Spring.  Don't think my garden will reach the beauty of the gardens in this calendar, but they are inspiring.


  Look at all this beauteousness.  We need a little color during these dark, dull days of winter.   Just remember, Spring is not far away, God's in His heaven, if you have your health you are rich, kiss a loved one today, give thanks for having food to eat, a bed to sleep and a roof over your head.  Life is good. 

  Now I will leave you with some entertainment from my grandsons. Bye.

 


 


 
 
 
 
 

No comments: