Snickelfritz

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Liver and onions and other beastly things

    To day I went to the dentist to get a wisdom tooth pulled.  He said I would eventually have to get the others pulled and I could go ahead and do it today.  Since I didn't want to have to go through it again, I told him to go ahead.  Now I am waiting here for the pain to set in and have my pain pills ready.

   Since this is a crazy day anyway, I will write about liver and onions.  I absolutely, positively love liver and onions.  I have since I was a child.  When I was growing up, you ate what was put in front of you.  None of this picky eater stuff was allowed.  You either ate or went hungry until the next meal.  My mother happened to be the best cook in the county if not the state so eating what she prepared was not a hard thing to do.  She did make good liver and onions and since we butchered our own beef on the farm, we had it quite often. 

   Our farm was pretty self-sustaining.  My dad was proud when we would sit down to a meal and he would say everything on the table came from the farm.  Please don't read the next paragraph if you don't eat meat or are a Peta member because you will not like it.

   There was an old man who went around to farms and butchered your animals for you.  We always had a cow butchered at least once a year and usually when it was cold out.  I was pretty young then but I do remember hearing the gunshot when the cow was dropped and then I got to go out and see the actual butchering.  The cow would be hung up in our corncrib and cut up into the different cuts of meat.  You got alot of meat off one cow.  A family of six eats alot of meat in a year.

    Since we raised our own beef to eat, you didn't want to make a pet of any of the cows.  Unfortunately, one year I helped bucket feed a beautiful little bull calf we named Penny because he was a beautiful copper colored.  He grew into a magnificent bull who bred many calves.  He would buck and kick like a rodeo bull and was a truly gorgeous animal. Our whole family loved him.  But the day came when he was to be made into food for us .  I still feel sad as I write this, but it was a part of life on the farm that our animals were raised to feed us, so one day it was Penny's turn.  That day I couldn't watch the proceedings and didn't think I could ever eat meat again.   When Mom fixed one of her great meals I quickly changed my mind, but I still think of Penny.  I bucket fed many calves after him, but I refused to get attached to them.

   Just recently I saw some liver in the grocery store and decided to try making liver and onions again.  I hadn't made it for years, but it sounded so good.  It turned out so delicious and we will be having it again soon. 

   Now I am going to eat some mashed potatoes and chicken noodle soup David prepared for me as I can't eat anything too chewy today.  Bye for now. 

No comments: