Snickelfritz

Friday, May 25, 2012

Making egg salad

  David and I love egg salad.  I only started making it more in the last year or two.  I don't know why, but I always thought it was too difficult to make.  Watch while I make it and see what you think.

   First you boil your eggs, of course, unless you like really runny egg salad.  The trick to perfect boiled eggs is starting them in cold water, bringing them to a boil, turn off the burner and set them aside and cover them. If you keep boiling them, they will have green yokes.  Nothing turns people off like serving them green egg salad.  Leave them there stewing in their own juices for about 25 minutes. This angers the eggs, but what can a person do? 

   After peeling them, and this again is my preference.  You may like eggshell in your egg salad, but I wouldn't recommend it.  Then I take an old potato masher and start mashing those eggs until they are fine.  We like our egg salad a little more chunky so I don't mash mine as fine as some.

  This is what it should look like. 

  Then you add salt.  You must use a huge hand to do this.  I think this is about 2 teaspoons, but I don't measure so it could be a little less or a little more.  You can add what you want or none at all if you are on a salt free diet.  I know David will salt and pepper the dickens out of anything I make so I usually don't add alot of salt to my cooking.

  I like to add a little pickle relish.  This is about a teaspoon.  Not much, but it does make a difference.

  I forgot to take a picture of it, but now is the time you add your mayonnaise.  I use Miracle Whip Lite which I think tastes just as good as the regular Miracle Whip.  This, again, it is according to your taste how much you will add.  Some like egg salad with alot of mayonnaise and some like it a little dry.  We like it kind of in the middle.  Just add a little at a time until it is the consistency you like.  All this took less than five minutes except for the boiling of the eggs and waiting for them to be ready. Put your egg salad in a bowl and into the refrigerator for several hours because it tastes better after a day or so but I couldn't wait.

 Then comes the fun part.  Making your sandwich.  I used multi-grain sandwich thins toasted and spread the egg salad thinly on it as I don't like alot of filling.

  Add a little pepper.

  I add bread and butter pickles. Yum.

  Then you take a big bite and your eyes roll back in your head and you pass out because you forgot to check the expiration date on the mayonnaise jar.  Just kidding!  But do check that expiration date.

  A great idea I had was to make Pac man sandwiches for your next ladies luncheon.  Just take a bite out of every sandwich, cut an olive in half and, voila!   You have a conversation piece sandwich.  Of course the ladies at your luncheon would have to be really close friends and not opposed to eating after you, but hey,what do you think? Bye

No comments: