Snickelfritz

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall beauty and the green monster


      Looking out my kitchen window I saw that the big maple was in its full glory.  It's the last big tree we have on our property as so many have died and had to be cut down.  Glad that there are other trees all around us and it is looking so "Fally" right now. 

       David and I decided to take a weekend for antiqueing and fall foliage looking.  It all began in the little city of Cambridge City near where I grew up.  They were having an antique fair and all the shops had some of their wares on the sidewalks and there were antiques set out all around the town.  We were in antique heaven. It smelled like a county fair with food being prepared by the Amish and good smells coming from every restaurant.  The day was a perfect Fall day. 

       We spent the morning going from store to store.  Cambridge City is getting several new antique stores and this weekend was their debut.   So much to see.  I was on the hunt for chicken items to put on or in our new chicken condo.  David said if we don't get chickens next Spring, me and the dogs can use it as our playhouse! I'm having so much fun decorating it.  Am I crazy or what?

       We met one of my best friends for lunch and had a wonderful visit.  Then she took us out of town to another antique store in a little schoolhouse.  I found the neatest chicken item there.  I will have to show it to you another time.  We would never have found this antique store ourselves so were so glad we were taken there.

       We went back to town and my friend had to go home so we continued on shopping.  We found an old window with rooster pictures behind the pane and I thought it would be a great accessory for the chicken condo.  Thought it would be good pinups for my hens as we are not getting any roosters. 

      That night we ate at a restaurant called  Clara's.  It's a pizza place with a London bus inside where you can eat if you want to.  Love the atmosphere.  Anyway, while waiting for our pizza I saw a man sitting behind David who looked just like Clint Eastwood.  I could not stop looking at him.  Hope I didn't make him uncomfortable, but really, he could have been Clint's double.  David didn't think so, but he has no imagination.  Sorry, he doesn't.  He's more pragmatic than me and more grounded in reality.  I tend to dream and see things other people don't see.  My creative friends know what I am talking about.   Or is it my crazy friends, I can't remember.



  The next morning after a good night's sleep and a yummy breakfast we started back home on the back roads.  You don't have to go to Brown County here in Indiana to see beautiful fall foliage.  And you miss all the crowds.  We were the only car on the road it seemed at times.



    We crossed this little creek several times.  Doesn't this look like a painting?  



   There were some beautiful homes out in the middle of nowhere.  Passed this one and I fell in love with the color.  Almost a reddish pumpkin color with the prettiest green trim.  I could live here quite happily.


  This is another view of it.  Look at that big yard to mow.  I would have it full of trees and flowers so I wouldn't have to mow.  I hate to mow, but I'll get to that later.


   We passed the neatest little farm with several little outbuildings.  It looked like they even had their own golf range.  There was a parklike look to the surrounding land with seats set out under trees and  a spreading green lawn.   Look!  I didn't even notice all that fencing when we were passing it by. I'm just noticing it and thinking what I could do with it.  On a couple of the buildings were barn quilts.  I want to paint a barn quilt to put on the front of our house.  This is a pretty one. Anyone know the name of the design?




   Here's another barn quilt they had on another building.  Notice in the foreground the sharp points on the wrought iron fence?  This fencing surrounded the grounds.   I don't know the name of this quilt design either, do you?   

    It was a wonderful weekend, but now it is back to the real world where houses need to be painted and lawns have to be mowed.  I was going to mow the yard today, but I had a confrontation with the green monster.  The first of the summer our old mower went kaput so David went out and bought a new mower.  It was a mulching mower.  Little did I know it also mulched legs, wouldn't start whenever I tried to start it and I am afraid it will put my eye out one day.  The first time I used it, I got blisters on both hands.  It fought me the whole way.  I tell you that thing hates me.



   I put on my heavy duty mowing shoes and blue jeans.  The first time I mowed with the green monster I wore Crocs and shorts and it was not pretty.  Now I was prepared.

 

  I pulled the starter rope once.  It started. Hurray!  It died.  I pulled the starter rope again, It started.  It died.  The third time I yelled at it.  David comes home, it starts immediately and stays on.  He didn't know why it didn't stay on for me.  I know.  It hates me as much as I hate it.  Grrrrr. 

   My consolation is that mowing season is almost over.  If this mower acts up next year it will have to find a new home.  To someone who is a mechanic or to someone it likes.

  
     I will leave you with a beautiful sunrise I saw the other morning while walking.  Glad I don't have to mow the sky.  I can just enjoy it. Bye

  

No comments: