Snickelfritz

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Best and Worst

  We have all received many gifts in our lifetimes.  Some great, some good, some not so good and some, well, you know the person who gave it to you had bought it at the last minute in desperation.  But, it's the thought that counts.  Right???

   I was listening to a show today and they were talking about the worst and  best gifts they had received for Christmas.  Christmas was always a magical time for me.  I received so many wonderful presents from Santa through the years.  I received a lot of  different dolls and still have a few of them  that I cherish.  When Strawberry Shortcake dolls were the rage, I think I loved them more than my daughter, but she got them all.  Still have them all and the boxes they came in.  Remember they all had little animals of some kind and smelled like their name.  Blueberry cupcake, Strawberry Shortcake, and others that smelled like lemon, cherries and other fruits.

  One year I got sister dolls with roller skates.  Still have them also. Once I took one to school and one day my teacher, Mrs. Farmer called me up to her desk and brought me real close to her and said she had a secret and she put something in my hands and put a finger to her lips and said, "Shhh, don't let anyone see this."  I went back to my desk and looked in my hands and there were my doll's underpants.  Evidently I had lost them while playing with her at school.  Mrs. Farmer didn't want to embarrass me.

  Another time I got these records with pictures on them and a little carrousel  with mirrors on the side of it and when the record spun, there would  be moving pictures and a song.  The one I liked best was ,Two little ducks that I once knew, fat one skinny one there were two.  But the one little duck with a feather in his back.  He ruled the others with a "Quack, quack, quack."  The little ducks would bob their heads in and out of the water in the mirrors on the carrousel.  I loved that. I always wondered what happened to it.  I keep looking in antique stores for one, but haven't seen anything like it, ever.

   This brings me to a question for all of you.  What was your worst and best Christmas presents of all time?  My best had to be the year I got a saddle for my horse. I had been riding bareback for a long time, but finally I got a western saddle.   I wish I still had that saddle and the cowgirl boots I would wear when I rode my horse, Tornado.

   I got a worst gift, but I hesitate to say what it was as someone might know who I am talking about and I don't want any hurt feelings.  Suffice it to say, I used up all my manners that day and acted thrilled to get this gift.  Believe it or not, I still have it!  It reminds me of the giver who I love so it did serve its purpose. 

  Anyway, if you would like to, post your worst and favorite gifts.  Just remember people's feelings and don't say anything awful. 

   Here's to gifts, the good, the bad and the ugly.  Bye.

No comments: